Posts Tagged ‘earth’


Apr22

Earth Day 2015

2015 at 04:11 pm by admin | Comments Off

ArticleEarthDay2015a

Today marks this year’s Earth Day, in which people in over 190 countries are showing their support for the planet as well as environmental protection. The holiday, which was originally celebrated in 1970 as a means to celebrate environmental reform and peace amongst one another, is one in which dozens of events are held worldwide in support of protecting nature. The President of the United States has even given an official speech in the name of the holiday!

ArticleEarthDay2015b

Discussion of dangerous news about climate change and global environment issues are at the forefront of the discussion today, and while these topics are fundamentally important to our continued survival on the planet Earth, it is important to not forget to appreciate nature around us and what it gives us on a daily basis. In order to make a real change in these issues, we as a whole must devote much more than this one day to the issues at hand. So make sure to get outside, enjoy yourself, and keep in mind the lessons and topics that are being discussed globally today; we’ll need to keep them in mind if we truly hope to make a difference and make this world a better place for every living being.

ArticleEarthDay2015c

Nov10

Robots designed to 3D print moon bases

2014 at 01:41 pm by admin | Comments Off

ArticleMoonBase

Space exploration and colonization of moons and planets have been ideas that, while dreamed about by billions of people across the world for generations, have been nothing but the work of science-fiction and fantasy. However, the European Space Agency hopes to change that in the near future, thanks to revolutionary new technology and innovations within the field of 3D printing. The ESA has detailed plans for a self-sustaining moon base, made almost entirely from components and materials found on the moon’s surface, which will be able to house several astronauts and necessary utilities. What makes the ESA-designed moonbase different from past concepts is its use of the moon itself in protecting exposed astronauts.



While Earth has an outer atmosphere that protects its surface and inhabitants from extreme temperatures, solar radiation, and meteorites, the Moon offers no such shelter. In order to safely house astronauts and recreate the life-saving benefits of the atmosphere, a robot designed to sculpt the environment will create a protective shell around the initial infrastructure. This shell is made from a mixture of lunar dust scavenged by the robot as well as multiple layers of 3D-printed webbing. This shell would provide all the benefits offered by Earth’s atmosphere, and would also allow for other bases to be connected to one another to create a multi-room base on the moon. These plans have been in the works since 2013, and while the ESA states that these concepts are still being worked on and fine-tuned, these structures could begin popping up on the moon within 40 years.

Oct08

Satellites create first map of ocean floor

2014 at 12:48 pm by admin | Comments Off

ArticleOceanMap1

Researchers at the Scripps Insitituion of Oceanography, located in San Diego, California, have taken advantage of innovative technology in order to create the world’s first complete map of the ocean floor! Older seafloor maps only mapped about 10% of the depths, leaving 90% of the ocean uncharted and unknown. Thanks to never-before-used technology aboard the CryoSat-2 and Jason-1 satellites, a full map has finally been created. These satellites gathered the data by measuring the density of gravity across the ocean floor and turning it into usable altimeter data.

ArticleOceanMap2

The satellites, which sent out thousands of radar pulses a second, were able to calculate the topography of the ocean floor with gravity due to the nature of large objects. Matter with extra mass warps the gravitational field around it, which is what the satellites used to create the maps. The maps show off the valleys and mountain ranges of the ocean floor, and even denote the locations of large earthquakes with red dots, showing off the massive fault lines of the Earth’s crust. Researchers hope that these maps will be used to help survey ships, underwater exploration vessels, and even one day create a high-resolution map of the entire ocean floor.